Friday, June 25, 2010

Who, what, where, when, why is art important?

Well I decided to start this blog to talk about art. It's been the one consistent thing I've stayed interested in since early childhood. Starting with drawing contests with my older brother – which he always won (though my mother would never admit it!), to getting attention in school for being good at art, to studying painting in college and as my constant companion in adulthood – art has been my best friend. I'd like to use this space to feature all things art: my art, my friends' art, interesting galleries, new materials, new ideas. Most of all, I'd like to exchange ideas. So feel free to comment and agree or disagree. It's all good. Want me to feature your work? Send me a picture or two and something about it and maybe I'll post it. I don't want to talk about me all the time...

I'm curious what makes people create. I don't always know where it comes from, even when it's mine. It's a curious thing the drive and the desire to make something where nothing used to be. That's the part that has remained absolutely magic. So let's share a little magic :-)

I'm posting a piece of my recent work to get it started here. This is a wood construction with oil paint. It's the first success of many failed experiments where I have tried to make free-form shapes in different layers.

I am very interested in organic shapes that are reminiscent of things you recognize but can't quite place. There are so many shapes and rhythms that repeat in nature on a large scale down to microbiology. Are they planetary orbits, tree rings, or cells? My hope is that the end result feels familiar and relatable without a specific narrative. I'm hoping to have a more universal story that can mean something different to each viewer. Or, maybe it just looks cool and I get to use power tools to make it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment