Thursday, January 6, 2011

1-5-11 a departure from dogs

When it's warmer outside, I like to fire up my jigsaw and cut up birch plywood to make layered, painted wood constructions. I've had a lot of fun with it - thinking it's my 'serious' art. I make organic shapes, soothing blues, greens, browns. Well, my daughter complains that I never use red, I never use bright colors, what about purple? So on a lark, I made a construction of a crazy mask with super bright colors that I never use. I haven't had that much fun creating a piece of work in years! Maybe she's on to something. Leave it to a kid to keep the fun in art :-)

Here it is:

So last night for my painting a day - I was pressed for time and decided to just have fun again. It's winter in NY, so cutting wood is out of the question outside. Also, like I said - I was seriously pressed for time. So I created a new mask 'portrait' this time as a mini mask construction out of bristol board and watercolor. Yup, it was lots of fun! So here is installment #5 of my painting a day:

This is a 'portrait' of my friend Ron. Looks like a fun guy, huh? LOL

1 comment:

  1. I guess you are not writing anymore, but this is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete