Monday, November 8, 2010

Lame excuses and pet portraits

OK, I'm back from a long absence. Life sure gets in the way. Two posts in one week, and then four months off. Lame, I know. I'd love to make this one of those painting a day sites. I love those, but sadly, I just don't have the time. I have been painting though. Here's some of what I've been up to...my latest big idea is to paint peoples cats and dogs. It combines two things I love a lot – painting and fuzzy creatures. I've thought about doing it for a while and never followed through on it. That's been the story of my life. I get really interested in different kinds of art, do it for a little while and then move on to the next fancy thing. It worked for DaVinci, but it's not working for me. I did murals, t-shirts, pursued childrens illustration, figurative art, abstract art...I've been one of those masters of none. That may be the case here, that remains to be seen – but I'm really excited about the possibilities. It's gotten the best reaction of anything I've done so far. I think it touches a universal chord. Being an animal lover brings out the best in people. No matter if you're young or old, rich or poor, when you talk to an animal lover about their pet – we all have the same reaction. We talk about our beloved creatures as the family members they are. I love being able to create a timeless piece of art to honor these loyal, funny, sweet, mischievous, stinky, lovable friends. I'll still be doing my abstract constructions, and will get distracted by who knows what. I'm a restless Gemini that craves change, what can I say, but I think I've found something I can stick with!


This is one I painted today on a lovely day off from work. This is Brutus. An adorable American Bulldog who goes about 90 pounds and has a debilitating fear of mops and mop buckets. Yeah, go figure. But a deep hatred for bears that make the sound of a mothers womb. Apparently, they need to be eliminated. Funny creatures. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment